Spending a day in the sunshine can help put your mind and body at ease. But being in the sun does have some risks, especially for your eyes. Too much exposure to the sun’s harmful rays can cause sight-threatening eye diseases. The sun can also cause bad headaches and migraines.
Here are 3 reasons to wear shades no matter what day it is.
- Protect Your Eyes From the Elements
Did you know the sun isn’t the only thing that can damage your eyes? Spending time outdoors puts your eyes at additional risk of irritation from dust, wind, and sand. Other reflective surfaces such as open water and snow can affect your eyes as well.
- Dust and Wind - Spending a lot of time in dusty, windy conditions can damage and irritate your eyes. The best way to protect your eyes is by wearing sunglasses (especially wrap-arounds) to keep your eyes safe from the elements.
- Sand - Getting sand in your eyes can not only be painful, but dangerous, too. Small grains of sand can scratch the eyes’ surface, causing permanent damage. Sunglasses that cover your eyes fully are a great way to keep sand out.
- Snow - Snow reflects 80% of UV rays from the sun, and glare from snow can burn your eyes if they’re not protected by sunglasses or goggles.
- UV Protected Sunglasses Help Prevent Eye Disease
UV-protected sunglasses help prevent macular degeneration and cataracts, among other serious eye conditions. Only choose sunglasses that block 100% of UVA and UVB radiation.
By wearing glasses that protect against this radiation you can minimize the risk of visual impairment and blindness caused by cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Fewer Migraines and Headaches
By wearing sunglasses you can help reduce both the intensity and frequency of painful migraines and headaches that are triggered by the bright sun. Wearing sunglasses when out in the sun can also help reduce fatigue and eyestrain, leaving your eyes feeling more comfortable.
There are numerous eye health benefits that come with regularly wearing sunglasses. Stop by Eye Mechanix in Lincoln Park. We can help you choose the best pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes.
At Eye Mechanix, we put your family's needs first. Talk to us about how we can help you maintain healthy vision. Call us today: 773-857-1260 or book an appointment online to see one of our Lincoln Park eye doctors.
Want to Learn More? Read on!